Diabetic and SGPT level 182 . How to reduce the level?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: My SGPT is 182 .how to reduce the level of sgpt, i am diabetic also. what are the proper retion of LDL AND HDL. LDL should be low or high . or HDL should be low or high.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 48 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, I am discussing your lab reports.

Serum triglyceride is higher than desirable level. LDL is within desirable level. HDL is lower than required. Serum cholesterol is also within desirable level. VLDL is higher than normal level. LDL: HDL RATIO is 2.08 which is within normal limit (normal limit is 0.5 to 3). But, the desirable HDL level is >60mg/dl. It is the good lipid. It protects your heart. So, higher level is good for health. But LDL is the bad lipid. It should be below 130 mg/dl.

Serum alkaline phosphatase is mildly higher than normal. SGOT and SGPT all are increased. Serum protein is within normal limit. This higher level of SGPT is seen in hepatocellular injury in acute alcoholic liver disease, obstructive jaundice, and others. To differentiate these conditions you have to consult with a gastroenterologist for further evaluation.

So, from above discussion, it is clear that you have to lower the triglyceride level and SGPT level.

You have to follow the followings:
1.     First and foremost thing is to take low fat diet. Use vegetable oils with lower saturated fatty acid levels for cooking purpose. Consult with a dietician for giving you an appropriate diabetic and low fat diet chart. Follow that chart.
2.     You have to take atorvastatin and fenofibrate group of drugs to bring the lipid profile in normal level.
3.     For liver abnormality, you have to do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen to rule out any abnormality.
4. You have to take liver protective medicines. Consult with a gastroenterologist for thorough clinical examination, for ordering required investigations and for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 6 minutes later
Is liver tonic good for this.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Yes liver tonic is helpful in this condition. But first any other diseases like alcoholic liver disease should be ruled out. For this, consult with a gastroenterologist, as I previously told.

Regards.