Developed an external hemorrhoid and slightly swollen lymph node in groin. Worrisome

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, i developed an external hemroid the other day and the next day I developed a sore slightly swollen lymph node in my left groin. I have had hemroids before but i don't recall getting a sore lymph node too.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 50 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Groin lymph nodes get lympha from external urogenital organs and skin of the rectum so it is possible that this lymph node enlargement is caused by hemorrhoid which has gotten infected. Painful, movable lymph nodes with regular shapes are most likely caused by inflammation. However groin enlarged lymph node can indicate some cancerous process. That is why, it should not be neglected.
It is also possible that this is not a lymph node, but a inguinal hernia. You can perform a simple test. Put your hand on this lump and try to cough while standing. If it is moving or the pain raises hernia is possible.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and have physical examination. If he diagnoses it as a hernia, you may get scheduled for regular surgery. In case of lymph node ask for antibiotics and see if it will help. If not, groin ultrasound should be performed and biopsy of this lymph node.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later
thank you, it did not move or raise when i stood and coughed. I forgot to mention, I have been treated for chlamydia...first diagnosed at the beginning of December, symptoms were slight, but after taking the azithromycin symptoms got much worse, increased drip and burning, same sore slightly swollen lymph node, symptoms subsided but still had a slight burning in my urethra. Test came back positive for chlamydia after 3 or 4 weeks after treatment, took the second dose just over a week ago...burning seems to have subsided in the last day or so, same time as hemorrhoid and lymph soreness developed...I did have a strained and difficult bowel movement a day or two before I noticed the hemorrhoid. I have an appointment with a doctor Tuesday morning but my anxiety is getting the best of me.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

If it is about chlamydia, it is treated property in your case. You should know that this is sexually transmitted disease and your partner should be treated as well. If not, maybe this is the reason of recur chlamydia. Lymph node can be enlarged due to this infection.
If it is about hemorrhoid, this disease is strongly associated with constipations. So strained and difficult bowel movement is the most probable reason of getting it worse. To improve your hemorrhoid condition you should increase fiber XXXXXXX products, mineral water intake and physical activity. Sitz baths with Quercus Cortex and prescription free hemorrhoids suppositories should be also helpful. If no improvement in a week or so, surgery should be considered.
If it is about your lymph node, like I have mentioned before most likely it has appeared due to inflammation. This is very normal reaction and means your immune system works property. However, the best way to be sure and rule out any other possible reason is to simply remove this lymph node and test histologicaly. Lymph node is very simple procedure, can be performed quick. This seems important for you to have clear situation so you wont have to think about it anymore. This is very understandable as you have a right to feel comfortable.
And appointment scheduled for Tuesday is fine. Nothing wont happen during this days as this is not an urgent situation.

Hope you find this helpful. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.