Is painful swelling in the neck normal in a child?

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Lump
Question: my 13 year old son hasswelling on the sides of his neck, Swelling starts just behind his ears and moving down his neck. I does seem more pronounced on his right side.
He says his neck is sore but he is able to turn his head from side to side. He also has a headache.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue scan and FNAC is must..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..

Please note..

1. At this age group, most commonly it is infection that leads to such swellings.
Lymphadenopathy it is called.

2. We can do these things..

A. Get a soft tissue scan done to know the exact nature, location and other complications

B. FNAC of the swelling..

3. With this we can arrive to the diagnosis and can treat accordingly.

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance please contact me directly.
Or, you can close the question and rate.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 50 minutes later
What does FNAC stand for?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's an investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back.

Please note..

1. FNAC stands for Fine needle aspiration cytology.

2. It includes small needle test of the contents.

Hope this helps you..
Take care..