Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Continuous urge to urinate. Taken alfoo tab. Switched to rapilif. Urine culture report normal. Father treated with BPH. Have i acquired BPH?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
I have been having small problem , I have strong continuous urge to pass urine, once I do so the sensation in URETHA continue to persist and if i try to control pain occurs. I have shown to a doctor He has suggested me to take ALFOO 10 Mg for 7 days. My father has recently been treated for BPH, My question is How long should I take ALfoo? will it have a long term effect? Have I become a BPH patient My self. My age is 39+. I took Alfoo for 15 days uptil 5 days back and now I have switched to rapilif 8 mg once a day... But no respite. Sensation is continuous in urethra speciall when I pass urine. my Urine culture report is normal. UROFLOWMETERY was also normal.Please help
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

I understand your query and concern.
Burning in the urine passage can be due to several causes.
Microscopic changes in the prostate start by the age of 40 yrs according to science.
The medicine prescribed for you will work if urine flow is less or if there is inflammation in the prostate.
The doctor would have suspected the latter in you as you are little young for BPH.
You may also have what is called overactive bladder and if there is not much relief with the medicine, the doctor might consider adding another medicine for the same.
The inflammation in the prostate could be due to infection also, which may require a course of antibiotics, which your urologist will be familiar with.

Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for any further queries.
Get well soon.
DR G Srinivasan.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Continuous urge to urinate. Taken alfoo tab. Switched to rapilif. Urine culture report normal. Father treated with BPH. Have i acquired BPH? 24 hours later
1) After How long shall I should consider changing medicine , if required?
2) Rapilif 8 is having side effect I am unable to ejaculate but reaching orgasm? Today I switched back to Alfoo 10 mg, is it okay.
3) Shall I continue to take Fianx 1 mg for hair fall?
4) Is it a side effect of Gabapin medicine i was taking earlier

Thanks , awaiting early response
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later

Answers for

1. Atleast one month.
2. Ejaculation is a problem with most these type of medicines. If alfoo is ok, pls continue.
3. Probably yes. If there is family history of prostate cancer, pls get ur serum PSA checked.
4. Unlikely.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor