Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Child is having throat pain, swallowing difficulty. No relief from gargling. Should I consult ENT doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 332 Questions
My nephew aged 11 years is with me, and he has throat pain, and has difficulty swallowing food. He had tried gargling with XXXXXXX warm water, but that has not helped much. Should I take him to an ENT or is there any drug that can be tried on your advice?
Please let me know. Thanks
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 8 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that your nephew is suffering from an acute infection of throat or tonsils. It may be because of a bacterial infection or a viral infection.

If your nephew has malaise, fever and pain in throat it is more likely to be because of bacterial infection and if he lack these symptoms it may be a viral infection. However there can be exceptions to this rule.

I would advise you for a ENT consultation to reach a diagnosis so that the right treatment can be started.

I hope this answers your concern.

Feel free to contact me if you require additional information about it

With rwgards
Ravinder Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor