Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Child has swelling and white spots on lips. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions
For the past 2 days my son has had whitish swollen spots inside & just below his lower lip. Spans entire length of lip. The spots are oblong about 1/4 inch diameter. Should I call his doc or can it wait till Monday? I've been trying canker sore ointment on it hoping it will help keep it from bothering him.

Background: My son is 33. Due to brain hemorrhage a 1 mo. he is severely brain damaged, has mild CP, seizures, PTSD, panic disorder, complex hydrocephalus, optic atrophy. In 2008 he was diagnosed with stage 3 testicular cancer, did chemo, now resolved. He takes Depakote, Trileptal, Locosamide, Paroxetine, Clonazepam, Protonix & Polyethylene Glycol every day.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The spots on the lips that you have described can be due to a superficial fungal infection.
Along with the fungal infection there can sometimes be some inflammation which causes itching and peeling of the skin.
The generally best way to treat this is with a topical cream which has both a mild steroid element and an antifungal cream. The active ingredients of this cream includes hydrocortisone and the antifungal clotrimazole. The brand name of the cream is Lotrisone.
In case the lesions spread or the skin peels off then you must call his doctor for a direct examination and specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child has swelling and white spots on lips. Should I consult a doctor? 17 minutes later
Is Lotrisone over the counter that I can find at the local drug store?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Lotrisone is available over the counter. Otherwise you can ask for a combination of clotrimazole and steroid ( 1% hydrocortisone) from your pharmacist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor