Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Child has fever with pain under rib cage, No cough. Taken aspirin and hot tea. Any help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
My nephew had a 102 degree fever last night with pain under his left rib cage - no cough. No insurance, so we're trying to decide what to do. Today his fever was 99.8 with aspirin and hot tea. Any help?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 10 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

In this scenario, I would advise you to take the following steps
1.     Give him Tablet Tylenol 650 mg every 4-6 hours till his fever gets better.
2.     Hot fomentation can be done to relieve the pain. Hot compresses can be applied locally at the site of pain.
3.     Give him sufficient fluids which would help bring down the temperature and help replace the fluid loss.
4.     Wet sponging can be done to bring down the temperature.

However, as I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1.     Has he hurt himself near his left rib cage?
2.     Is the pain also associated with a difficulty in breathing?
3.     Is his fever associated with nausea, abdominal pain or rashes?

Further, if the pain persists, you will need to take him to his treating physician who can evaluate him further and prescribe appropriate therapy. A chest Xray may also be needed in this scenario.

If his fever does not reduce in a week he will need to do blood tests like:
1. Haemoglobin, TLC (total leukocyte count), DLC(differential leukocyte count),ESR(Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)
2. Widal test

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor