Can 'Pepto bismal' taken while nursing,lead to ryes syndrome in the baby?

Dr. Irshad H Naqvi

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm nursing my one year old. I've been taking pepto bismal for the last two days. I just looked up the info and it says not to take. She has a fever tonight of 101....I'm afraid of ryes syndrome . Also, she was around a child who got hand foot and mouth Friday. So I'm doubly afraid the aspirin from the pepto will trigger her.
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nursing mothers to avoid this salt Detailed Answer: Hi Dear, Bismuth salt has some evidence that along with the viral infection /fever occasionally may cause rye's syndrome. Reason to avoid, that this salt is excreted in breast milk though in very very small quantity. However, there is no sufficient data to prove this side effect but still breast feeding mothers are advised to avoid this salt. In your case, you have taken the drug for only 2 days, and in my opinion, this much dose is not going to have any significant effect, so please be patient and relax regarding this issue. For the HMFD exposure, you have to wait and watch, if any symptoms arise, please consult your pediatrician to get the required advice. Paracetamol suspension to be used for the fever and avoid aspirin salt Hope the query is answered. Please feel free for the further clarification. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E