Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

189 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes recurring pain in the right side of the abdomen?

Answered by
Dr. Saumya Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2691 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Diabetes
Question: I have a recurring pain in my stmach right side a few inches above my hip, What can it be??
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible appendicitis. Other causes discussed

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.

The pain in the right lower abdomen is most commonly known to be due to appendix.
The person usually have associated features of fever and vomiting.
The treatment usually needs antibiotics and surgery once diagnosis is confirmed.

This is the most important cause of the pain located where you said.
There are other causes that include renal stones, infections, colitis being the other probable differential diagnosis.
Amongst ladies, gynecological conditions need to be considered as well.

You need to be examined by the surgeon for confirmation of appendicitis.If not appendix, other causes will need to be considered.

I suggest ultrasound of the abdomen.

Meanwhile, simple analgesics like paracetamol or ibuprofen may afford some relief.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Feel free to contact us for more information as needed.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 23 minutes later
Could kit . B gastritis
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the response.
No, I dont think it can be gastritis.
The features of gastritis are usually located above the umbilicus.
So I think it is certainly not gastritis.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics