question-icon

Suggest treatment for kidney stones

Posted on Wed, 27 Dec 2017
Question: My kidney stones do not bother me why would my doctor want me to get the shockwave procedure done .
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Shockwave procedure not indicated if there is no pain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting HealthcareMagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.

Shockwave procedure is generally needed in renal stones that causes severe pain. In your case, if you don’t have any pain or other discomforts. So procedures not really indicated.

Your treating doctor may be worried about future attacks of pain. That’s why he advised shockwave procedure.

I’m of the opinion that it is not indicated in an asymptomatic patient.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Wishing you good health
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Shinas Hussain