What kind of pain medication can I take for rectal pain?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Constipation
Question: what kind of pain medication would I take for rectal pain?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: NSAIDs for short term, tramadol long-term Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query. If you do not have a bleeding tendency, history of peptic ulcers or kidney disease, a short course of 5-7 days of an NSAID (antiinflammatory) such as naproxen is reasonable; if the rectal discomfort is a long term pervasive issue, then other classes are safer in terms of side effects, such as acetaminophen and mild narcotics only as needed such as tramadol or codeine. Hope this helps wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN