Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

146 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can spondylosis cause acid reflux or vice versa?

Answered by
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan


Practicing since :1966

Answered : 4506 Questions

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in GERD
Question: Can spondylosis cause acid reflux or vice versa ? am suffering from severe acid reflux as well as spondylosis wherein i feel giddy.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

They have no relations to each other. They are two different problems.

Reflux is due to weakness at the junction of food pipe and stomach.
Upper GI endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis.
In the mean time, medicines like omeperazole AND domperidone can help.
Weight reduction, sleeping head-end up will help.

NSAID – spondylosis – can cause acidity.

I symptoms of spondylosis has returned, you may need MRI of the neck.
Physiotherapy will help.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply.

i missed out to mention earlier that beacuse of acid reflux i also get sinus at times when am exposed to ac or extereme cold. My nose gets blocked and ears also shut.

How can i get rid of all these 3 things which happen together many a times leaving me absolutely uncomfortable.

And,am scared of endoscopy beacuse i feel i will not be able to breath as my nose also shuys beacuse of Sinus. therefore is it advisable ?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 32 minutes later

No need to be scared of endoscopy - only sedation is given / no anaesthesia. You will be fully conscious during the procedure. The other alternative is Barium swallow - which is less informative - the difference is seeing the shadow and substance...

Sinusitis can be from allergy or infection.
Infection can be cured easily. Allergy may need special tests and long term management - ENT opinion is the one to assess further and assist. X-ray may be needed.

Each one is a separate issue. Each has to be treated by a different specialist! Your GP or Internist can co-ordinate

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Sinusitis

doctor1 MD

I am a 53 year old female, 5 ft 3 ins and 13stone 8lbs. about 7 years ago I had a bad chest infection which I didn t take medication for as it happened over the Xmas holidays. Since then, whenever I get a virus or a cold the right side of my throat and chest feels heavy and I get a cough which takes a while to go away. Is this normal? I also suffer from chronic sinusitis which doesn t help as I get a mucus build up on that side of my throat most days

doctor1 MD

dear sir,
my wife she is 22 year old ,she is suffering from sinusitis with head ace
we are here in calicut kerala,we consult lot of ENT specialists but there is no change yet but now condition is getting serious, so i need a solution to escape from this,is there is any surgery and how much is it cost?

doctor1 MD

Dr.I am 64 yrs old man.I have consulted ENT surgeon reg. my septal defect problem.He tried with endoscopic procedure,unfortunately he didnot proceed with endoscopy entry due to problems.He asked me to do a scan. scan findings,bilateral ethmoid sinusitis,mild bilateral maxillary and left sphenoid sinusitis with polyp in rt.max.sinus,bilateral concha bullosa,mild bilateral inf,terbinate hypertrophy,blocked bilateral osteometal complexes,dev.nasal septum to rt.with small bony spur.kindly give me your advice

doctor1 MD

I am 38 year old female. 5 foot tall, 60 kg and relatively healthy. I have been prescribed antibiotics for sinus infection 2 months ago with not much relief have had 4 courses. In past 3 days have developed trimenigal neuralgia and was sent for CT. CT retured with polypodial mucosal thickening involving maxillary antra bilaterally including 3 cm polp in left antrum and 2 cm polyp in right antrum. Left polyp extending into and occluding the ostium antrum. There is also marked narrowing of the nasal cavity bilaterally. There is a small concha bullosa of the left middle turbinate. The post nasal space is clear . I am off to GP this afternoon and am worried and just wanted to know could this be the reason for TN? Thanks

doctor1 MD

I had and was treated for strep. It has been a month, and I still have a lingering cough . Why is the cough hanging on? Have you had similar inquiries from other people?

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, I need an analysis (a second opinion ) on MRI Scan/Film. Patient was diagnosed for ALS -Although I dont too much agree with this. The scanned film/documents can be found here:...

doctor1 MD

hi I am XXXXXXX suffering with cold continuosly from last 2weeks and cold is not controlling, often getting cold a mild throat infection and itching of eyes.dont know what type of allergy I am having.can u suggest me any treatment.