Can spondylosis cause acid reflux or vice versa?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in GERD
Question: Can spondylosis cause acid reflux or vice versa ? am suffering from severe acid reflux as well as spondylosis wherein i feel giddy.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

They have no relations to each other. They are two different problems.

Reflux is due to weakness at the junction of food pipe and stomach.
Upper GI endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis.
In the mean time, medicines like omeperazole AND domperidone can help.
Weight reduction, sleeping head-end up will help.

NSAID – spondylosis – can cause acidity.

I symptoms of spondylosis has returned, you may need MRI of the neck.
Physiotherapy will help.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply.

i missed out to mention earlier that beacuse of acid reflux i also get sinus at times when am exposed to ac or extereme cold. My nose gets blocked and ears also shut.

How can i get rid of all these 3 things which happen together many a times leaving me absolutely uncomfortable.

And,am scared of endoscopy beacuse i feel i will not be able to breath as my nose also shuys beacuse of Sinus. therefore is it advisable ?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 32 minutes later
Hi

No need to be scared of endoscopy - only sedation is given / no anaesthesia. You will be fully conscious during the procedure. The other alternative is Barium swallow - which is less informative - the difference is seeing the shadow and substance...

Sinusitis can be from allergy or infection.
Infection can be cured easily. Allergy may need special tests and long term management - ENT opinion is the one to assess further and assist. X-ray may be needed.

Each one is a separate issue. Each has to be treated by a different specialist! Your GP or Internist can co-ordinate

All the best