• question-icon

Can hepatitis-C infection reoccur despite taking Interferon and Ribavirin?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have tested positive for Hep C. Ten years ayygo I was treated with interferon and ribavirin for six months for Hep C (2B). My doctor told me I was cured and could not get it again. Two weeks ago, another doctor told me "You won't believe me but you can't have that after taking the cure." I asked for a blood test, my symptoms were the same as ten years ago. HOW CAN I HAVE HEP C AGAIN? Help would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please could you specify better your symptoms?

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcaremagic.

Based on your history, treatment with pegy interferon and ribavirin and achieving a SVR after 6 months , you should know that this means that all traces of hep C are eliminated from your body.
But, it is possible that a tiny bit of the virus could be replicated after the treatment ends.

Furthermore, is highly unlikely to return hep C after you have achieved SVR.
You should know that the return of hep C after living at least 1 year without the virus is even rarer.
The possibility to have hep C again exist if you are exposed to the HCV again.

Please could you specify better your symptoms and recent lab data?

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Symptoms-dark urine, extreme fatigue, joints ache severely. Lab says REACTIVE, Supplemental confirmatory testing with HCV RNA by PCR is recommended. Previous blood test two week before Hep C test said liver function is fine all numbers within range.

I have one last question, and I hope there is an encouraging answer. I don't think I can make it. through another round of interferon and ribavirin. I almost put a bullet in my head after 4 months. ARE THERE ANY OTHER TREATMENTS WITHOUT THE DURATION OR SIDE EFFECTS FOR HEP C (2b)???
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

You should know that exist a new treatment for hep C 2b , EPCLUSA (sofosbuvir 400mg/velpatasvir 100 mg) .
In XXXXXXX 2016 the FDA approved a new combination medicine EPCLUSA, the first therapy approved to treat all HCV genotypes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6). It is also the first single tablet regimen approved for the treatment of patients with HCV genotype 2 and 3, without the need for ribavirin.

Epclusa is a once-daily, fixed-dose combination tablet approved for the treatment of adults with chronic HCV genotype 1-6. Epclusa for 12 weeks was approved in patients without cirrhosis or with compensated cirrhosis.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist