• question-icon

Can extensive walking and exercise exacerbate heart disease?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Sir
I am a 38 years old male. I was 109 kgs one year back and I started dieting and exercise. By intense exercise and diet I reduced to 68 kgs now. I had my echo done one year back and the lvef was 60% then. Two days back I did my 2d echo done which showed lvef as 40%, reduced rv contractility, generalised hypokinesia. The corno angio is normal. I run. 10 kms daily and in the last three weeks I have ryn three half marathons. Doctor has advised me to stop running or doing any functional or weight lifting exercises.
Please guide me on the same.

Sir
Further my cholesterol is absolutely normal
Ultrasound of abdomen is normal
Hbiac is 5.7 without medicine
Xray chest is normal
Tsh is 4.89
I was a patient of high bp but have stopped taking medicine for the last 6 months and bp remains 110/70
I was a diabetic for last three years but under no medication for the last 8 months
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that yes its a bit disheartening when after such an hard work and achievement of the goal when you get to know such a thing. But don't worry everything will be back to normal hopefully.

Before I proceed further I would like to know few things like

1. Do you smoke or any past history of smoking?
2. Family history of heart disease?
3. When was the last time you checked your Bp and blood sugar?

Kindly revert back with the required information.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 42 minutes later
Sir
I do not smoke neither I have been addicted to it ever. I eat tobacco for last 10 years.
No one in family has a history of any heart disease.
I check bp and sugar everyday as I have both the machines with me at home.
Today morning fasting sugar was 103 and pp was 105 and bp was 110/70 in almost all the three readings that I took today.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the feedback.

Dear eating tobacco has almost similar effect as that of smoking. And ypu are doing that for last 10 years.

Tobacco has a very deleterious effect on blood vessels as it promotes atherosclerosis ultimately leading to a heart disease.

If you are still consuming tobacco then you have to stop it completely now.

Yes you need to refrain from heavy exertional activities as per your doctors advise and also you have to stick strictly with the meds provided by your doctor.

We will repeat an Echo after 3 months to see the status. But it's now very important to take the medicines very regularly.

I hope this information will be helpful. Please revert back if you have any more doubts or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 19 hours later
Sir
Can I jog for 5 kms daily
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX the basic thing which need to be take care in your case is that your heart should not be over stressed.

Yes you can go for a jog but with breaks in between and if at any point of time you feel stressed or tired you should stop and take rest.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist