What causes raw and painful soles while on electronic implant stimulant for the spine?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Seeking possible explanation for tender, raw feeling soles of the foot when I am rarely on my feet. Sometimes painful enough that walking is very uncomfortable. Age 85, height 5'1", weight 123#. Have pacemaker and electronic implant stimulation for spine. Strive to be careful with balanced diet, limited sweets and adequate fiber.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Well, this may be caused by neuropathy or circulatory issues of legs and feet.
Neuropathy is disorder of nerve conduction and may be seen in diabetic or some methabolic causes and spine compressive issues.
It is presented with burning pain without skin changes.

Circulatory changes happens due to poor circulation in legs and may be related to your heart disorder but also s in legs which are common in this age and there may be present atherosclerosis that obstructs blood vessels and causes pain especially while walking.

You should do Doppler ultrasound of the leg or CT angiography to rule out such obstructive changes and then it can be treated properly by medications or by surgical and radiological procedures.

Also medication called Gabapentin may help with neuropathy. You should also, keep leg elevated when laying, apply elastic stockings and take magnesium and calcium supplements.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad