• question-icon

Can endometrial hyperplasia cause dysfunctional uterine bleeding?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: i have been on my menstrual cycle since may 12th, i went to the hospital about a month ago they did an ultrasound said i have a cyst on my ovary and my edometrium is thick. i went to see my doctor she sent me to see a gynecologist i went and she is only changing me birth control pills every two weeks. the bleeding is heavy i am anemic any thing makes me sick to my stomach i have huge headaches and my legs are a bit swollen. i have pain on my lower stomach all the way to my back. what can i do?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Therapeutic D &C should be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Thick endometrium can be due to the hormonal changes in the endometrium known as dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
You need to get a therapeutic D & C done to scrape the endometrium and send it for histopathology.
If the diagnosis is confirmed.
Further hormonal management should be done accordingly.
All the symptoms you are having is due to anemia and blood loss.So, iron supplementation should be taken.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine