Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Can I take post exposure prophylaxis after an unprotected intercourse?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
Hello Dr, i would be greatly appreciate for any help with regarding to my following concerns. i had sex with a sex worker last night and my condom broke, i was not aware about sex worker's mensuration period. I saw the blood on me, now i am very worried of any STD or any kind of infection. I have also researched on PEP, i am still in the 24hrs window. Can you please consult me on the next step ASAP. i just have 6 hrs left for 24 hr window to be completed. thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: PEP CAN BE CONSIDERED WITHIN 72 HOURS. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. As you did have unprotected intercourse ( albeit unintentionally ) , yes , you can consider taking PEP ( post exposure prophylaxis ). It can be taken anytime, upto 72 hours, so you do have time. It has to be continued for 28 days, and the side effects are not negligible, so be prepared for them. If the HIV status of the health worker is unknown, then yes, it is a valid reason to go for PEP. It is not 100 % effective for preventing against HIV, but yes, it will significantly minimize the risk of acquiring the infection. It will not protect against other STDs though, apart from HIV. It is a considered decision, please approach your nearest health care provider for the necessary. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can I take post exposure prophylaxis after an unprotected intercourse? 7 minutes later
Dr XXXXXXX thanks for answering the question. I wanted to check with you, if i go for anys tests or not ? If yes , thn what is the best time for teatsand what all kinds of testes should i go through. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again Regarding HIV, please go for testing at 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months after potential exposure, irrespective of whether you opt for PEP or not. For the remaining STD s - For gonorrhoea and chlamydia - 2 - 3 weeks after exposure. Syphilis - at 3 months For HIV, Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B - 6 weeks to 3 months For herpes and HPV, testing is recommended only if you have an outbreak. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor