Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Itching and burning towards the end of penis. Had Cefixime. Can I take cipro? Is it gonorrhea?

I think I may have contracted Gonorrhea as i am having a slight itching/burning towards the end of my penis. I am in a very remote location and only had 400mg of Cefixime with me which i took this morning on an empty stomach. I have plenty of Cipro though and could take that for multiple weeks if need be. If the single dose of Cefixime does not cure this could i get on the cipro right after to see if this worked to kill the bacteria ?
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  63
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Merca,

Thanks for posting on HCM,

The symptoms you have presented could be as a result of gonorrheal infection but are not specific to that. If you were exposed to unprotected sex a couple of days before, then your symptoms might be due to an STD. It is recommended that you get proper screening before you can begin treatment i.e if you have access to a health care facility. If you do not, then you may take the cipro 500 twice daily for 5-7 days (if other STD such as syphilis is responsible then cipro might not be the treatment of choice and you will require proper treatment). Take note that single dose of cefixime 400 may cure the gonorrhea (cure rate is quite elevated with use of the drug).
Also, I suggest that as soon as you can, you may get to a health facility for proper check up by a doctor (even after taking the cipro and cefixime).

Hope this helps and wish you a better health
Answered: Sun, 7 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor