Can HIV be contracted through protected intercourse?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Dr..last month I had sex with sex worker, It has started with condom. After inserted when I start to stoke it has tore, she noticed and stopped and while taking out side of the condom is tore, but the upper part is fully covered. Then we had with a fresh condom. But I was scary and anxetic, so I thought to go for Pcr RNA test after ten days. The result was not detected. But some fear is ter please resolve my fear.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
there are negligible chance of HIV after a protected intercourse.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for HIV after the incidence and the interpretation of results of HIV RNA-PCR.

Let me reassure you first that there are negligible chance of HIV after a protected intercourse. Your main act was protected one so there practically and clinically not possible to acquire HIV infection.

You do not know the status of the sex worker- meaning whether she had any STDs or worse of all HIV infection. So there are atleast 50% chances of her negative status. The sex worker was more concern than yourself as she noticed that the condom was broken indicating her concise to prevent the infection in any case.

In the situation of tore condom also the upper part was covered giving you protection even in case if the other person was infected. The HIV infection is mainly contracted through the tip of penis by the urethral opening. In your case it was covered throughout the act.

Though for all practical purposes we consider antibody test to be most conclusive but RNA PCR is also very helpful for initial screening. RNA PCR is most conclusive after 14-21 days but it can detect even within 7 days.

But overall as per your description there are negligible chance of HIV after a protected intercourse.

I hope this helps.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 42 hours later
FDA insist Pcr can use in 7 to 10 days but u telling 14 to 21 days am confusing....
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
As per the exposure there are negligible chances.

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

Welcome back and thanks for posting your further concern.

I already mentioned that though PCR can detect viruses even after 7 days but in general for all practical and clinical purpose it is better to take the time zone between 14 to 21 days.

In your case I have already mentioned there are negligible or frankly saying no chance of HIV infection as per the type of exposure. In your case the series of events which you have described is as good as complete protected intercourse. So as per my own clinical experience I have not seen any positive case after such kind of incidence.

I hope this relaxes your mind.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Thank you sir....Now am relax but still due to fear I feel like low fever and chill,also am not getting any feelings on sex. Frankly its been one month I haven't had any sperm ejaculation like while in sleep we get no like that. After that incident I feel pain in the tip of the penis, actually before that incident I had that pain after that I don't use to rub, but after that I again had that pain, consult my doctor he just checked my penis and testis he told its normal no problem, after that I just having pain in the tip of penis on that circle only like when I touch its paining that's it not having any rash or discharge pls explain me sir.....Also my doctor ask me to took scan also everything s alright...I learnt in net if we rub too much the pain will get pain am confused pls resolve this issue.
Brief Answer:
Stop thinking about any infection related to HIV. Relax

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

First of all I would like to suggest you to stop searching Internet for any of your held th issues. It is flooded with so much of information of various nature which could guide or even misguide a person concerned.

In most of the cases oneself read on Internet and then start feeling or experiencing the same set of symptoms. I very often counsel such kind of situation where in the person is experiencing the symptoms of vague nature and start feeling as if is related to HIV.

So in your case too I want to suggest you that as per best of my clinical experience there is no correlation of any of the symptoms with hiv.

The symptoms are basically related to anxiety and stress along with the depression related to same.

I suggest you to kindly stop thinking about hiv about nd give yourself positive feedback. Despite the test the fear of HIV is still present in yourself creating all the issues.

I reassure you that as per your details there are no chance of HIV infection.

I hope this allays your fears.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia