• question-icon

Can Gabapentin cause weight gain?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Can Gabapentin cause weight gain? I am 5'3" tall and have weighed 115 for 30 years. Additionally I have eaten a diabetes meal plan of 1200 calories and I work out for 1 1/2 to 2 hours every other day both 45 min cardio and 45 min to 1+ hours upper body and lower strength weights. I have have Relapsing/Remitting Multiple Sclerosis since 1997 with only 3 relapses both initial episodes caused right sided paralysis and occurred in 1997 and 1999. The third and last relapse was in 2000 and caused cognitive loss of short term memory recall. I have always been under the care of a well known neurologist at a University MS Center. Unfortunately, she was transferred out of the department and I was referred by my primary care physician to a well respected young neurologist at a different MS center, who changed my drug Pramipexole, which relieved all my muscle cramping. However, he prefers Gabapentin, 300 mg 3 times daily. Since that change I have gained 3 weeks ago, I have gained 15 pounds! Diet and exercise have not changed. Could Gabapentin be at fault for this enormous weight gain?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gabapentin can cause weight gain!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this weight gain. I am however surprised that your doctor changed a drug that has been working so well for you and apparently with no undesirable side effects to Gabapentin that has started causing issues. I will suggest that you ask him directly on why the change.

Gabapentin is known to cause weight gain. The onset of this weight gain and the introduction of gabapentin make this the most likely cause.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah