Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Bumps on both sides of vagina lips, change in colour and size. What over the counter medicines can be taken?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
I have bumps on both sides of my vag lips they are smooth to the touch. Some times they look white and sometimes flesh color they havent changed in size and a few I can move, not painful or itchy. My insurace hasnt came in so I cant go to see a doctor at the moment. what coud it be and what over the.counter meds.can I take
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 51 minutes later
Thanks for your query.

There are several causes of bumps or pimples on the female genitalia .

Cysts are common and can occur anywhere on the body. In the vulva (the area near the vagina) they often arise from a blocked skin gland. They often look like pimples or lumps under the skin. If fairly large or uncomfortable, it can be incised and drained by a doctor. Squeezing them on your own is NOT a good idea as it can cause the introduction of bacteria and cause infection. A few common genital cysts in women include:

1.     Skene's duct cysts. These occur on either side of the urethra (where you urinate).

2.     Bartholin cysts occur on either side of the lower part of the labia majora, the outside of the vagina. They can become very large, like the side of a walnut and are usually noticed because of rapid growth in size and pain. Treatment includes warm sitz baths and incision and drainage if needed.

Blocked hair follicles, or folliculitis is probably the most common "bump" seen in the genitalia of men and women. The bumps are often irritated and tender. They are infected and may require antibiotics and a large incision and drainage to treat.

Clogged sweat glands can occur anywhere, including the genitalia. These sweat glands can be infected. Hidradenitis suppurativa is a condition causes painful clogged sweat glands anywhere on the body that are infected. They leave hard scars. Usually antibiotics and other medications are needed to treat.

Fox Fordyce is a condition that causes nontender clogged sweat glands. Treatment includes steroid creams and other more specialized modalities.

Genital herpes is an STD. It usually causes itchy, burning and painful lesions that often start as a sore spot resembling a bug bite, but progresses over a few days to a blister or group of blisters and then an open ulcer. Treatment includes antiviral medications and pain meds.

Infection with subtypes 6 or 11 of the human papilloma virus (HPV) can cause genital warts. It too is a sexually transmitted disease. These "bumps" have a cauliflower like appearance. They are rough to the touch and can spread. Treatment includes applications of medications to freeze off the lesions or improve the immune system to fight the virus.

Molluscum contagiosum. This viral infection causes small, fleshy bumps on the vulva with a central indentation. They have a pearly color to them. They usually go away without treatment.

Vulval Skin tags are fleshy irregular shaped growths of normal skin that can occur on the vulva or elsewhere on the body. These are harmless and need removal only if required for cosmetic purposes.

Vaginal polyps also could feel and present in this manner.

As you can see , the list of conditions is extensive, and some of them are linked to STDs.

Without a proper diagnosis, taking self treatment might worsen your condition.
Please see a gynecologist at the earliest.
Take care, and feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bumps on both sides of vagina lips, change in colour and size. What over the counter medicines can be taken? 12 minutes later
if someone was to self treat it how would it worsen? it has no change in size and it hasn't and seems to fade when I put a warm cloth on it is about I do.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 23 minutes later
If someone were to self treat an STD with OTC medication, the infection could flare up.
An undiagnosed cyst could get infected and turn into an abscess.
And if the condition is benign, you would be unnecessarily treating it.
Certain infections can flare up, spread and worsen over time.
I think you yourself can understand how unwise it would be to self treat it.
I have had a look at the picture you recently attached.
The lesions look like genital warts to me.
However, seeing you physically and examining you and specific tests only would tell you for sure.
I again repeat and insist that you should see a gynecologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bumps on both sides of vagina lips, change in colour and size. What over the counter medicines can be taken? 3 hours later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
You are most welcome dear.
Having had a look at the lesions, I am all the more convinced you should see a Specialist.
Please do so and get back if required.
I wish you all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bumps on both sides of vagina lips, change in colour and size. What over the counter medicines can be taken? 28 hours later
I have been doing a lot of reseach on genital warts because I too believe thats what it could be. I want kids in the very near future and I know its possible to have kids. My questions are. I dont have medical insurance and it doest take affect until may 1 which is to long. Free clinic are not an opposition for me because of my job. 2 the proceedures they do may or may not effect with having kids and are painful so whats my best route for this. How do I get pregnant without spreading it to my partner. We havent had sex and I havent had sex in a few months. Ive done research on wartrol which I know is fda approved, but I still wish to see a doctor but with no insurances im at a lost on what to do. I know I need to see a doctor but I dont have a obgyn and dont know much about any good ones in oklahoma city. What can I do for the time being if I can't get to the doctor.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 40 minutes later

There are a number of ways to prevent the spread of venereal warts:

limit your number of sex partners;
use a male or female condom**;
carefully wash genitals after sexual relations;
if you think you are infected, avoid sexual contact and visit your local STD clinic, a hospital or your doctor;
notify all sexual contacts immediately so they can obtain examination and treatment.
** Remember that use of condoms may prevent the virus from coming in contact with susceptible skin areas. However, since HPV can infect the scrotum and vulva, transmission can occur outside condom-covered areas.

As you can see, without proper treatment, there is no guarantee that you would not affect potential partners.
And it does have an impact on childbearing since you can transmit HPV to your newborn through the lesions.

I fully empathize with you, but I see no way out for you other than seeing a doctor for the lesions.
Meddling with them by yourself would be extremely unwise.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bumps on both sides of vagina lips, change in colour and size. What over the counter medicines can be taken? 36 minutes later
So its best to go to the er as soon as I can. Thank you for your time and patients
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
I would not recommend a visit to the ER, as it is by no means an " emergency ".
Schedule an appointment with a proper gynecologist, as that is more likely to yield productive results.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor