Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Brown discoloration in semen

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
hi i have just noticed discolor in seman it was like a brown
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
1) A lot of factors go into the appearance and consistency of semen, including diet, ejaculation frequency.
2) Brownish semen can occur due to infections especially in the prostrate, and also due to bleeding in the prostrate.
3) The prostate is the organ that produces the majority of the seminal fluid in response to sexual stimulation. When the prostate contracts at the time of ejaculation, a vein may tear and blood mixes with the semen (hematospermia). Red blood indicates new and dark (brownish) discoloration indicates previous bleeding.
4) Irritation of the gland (prostatitis) can also cause it to become inflamed and predisposed to bleed. Some factors leading to inflammation include too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation, sexual arousal without ejaculation, withdraw at the time of ejaculation, excessive alcohol or spicy foods, prolonged sitting or bike riding.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Brown discoloration in semen 3 minutes later
should i get checked out or will it go on its own just a bit shy when it comes to that kind of exam
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 16 minutes later
1) You should avoid sex for the coming week. If your semen color again becomes normal then it appears to be due to presence of altered blood. If color remain brown color then it shows presence of infection. Apart from brown color, infection may cause fever and pain in pelvic region.
2) You should also consult with physician and get semen analysis.
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor