Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Blood test done. Found elevated alkaline phosphatase level. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
Thank you. I just received some blood results from a health fair and my alkaline phosphatase tested at 137. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Alkaline phosphate (ALP) is a parameter used to check on the liver and/or the bone. When we have an increased ALP, the possible conditions could be:

1. Liver condition: When there are symptoms relating to a possible liver condition, then, along with the ALP we also look for any abnormalities in parameters like alanine aminotransferase(ALT), aspartate aminotransferase(AST) and bilirubin. An abnormality in these parameters, indicates a liver condition. This could be anything from an infection to a tumor. Thus further investigation will be required

2. Bone condition: If a bone condition is suspected then we will have to look in to parameters like calcium and phosphorus. If these parameters are abnormal, this points towards a bone condition resulting from increased bone activity. This could again range from a disease to tumors

Please also note that in rare cases when only the ALP is raised, the possible causes could be:
-Healing bone injuries (eg. fractures)
-Medication (eg. anti-epileptics, etc.)
and a few other conditions.

I would thus request you to first look into the other parameters mentioned above, and then consult your doctor for a follow up on the elevated ALP levels, in order to rule this harmless.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor