Bloated stomach, dizziness, off balance. Serious?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in General Health
Question: Hi!

I'm 24 and male, tall and average build. I usually don´t get sick, but once every winter i get a cold, but i don´t last for long, but thats that.

My stomach looks and feels bloated all the time. it started when i was around 19-20.

I got the habit of tensing my stomach muscles all the time when standing up, so it don't show. I'm in good shape,i work out, and can take the maximum weight on stomach machines in the gym. So if its not weak
muscles could it be fat or something else?

Now when i stand up and relax my muscles, my stomach feels weird. hurts a bit, get a little lightheaded/dizzy. but goes away when i tense my muscles again.

i was in China 3 years ago, and got extremely dizzy and couldn't stand up for more than a couple of minutes. it lasted for 2 days.

a year later i got the same thing, Couldn't get out of bed. I didn't get much sleep at the time. so i thought it was my immune system which was weak, because of lack of sleep. It only lasted for 1 day.

a few days ago i got a little dizzy when i woke up. thought it was nothing, maybe i got up too fast.

i headed to the gym and it went fine, when i stopped i got so dizzy i couldn't keep my balance. I needed to hang on to something for not falling. it didn't help and got worse and i almost blacked out.
sitting down helped a little but laying down almost made all the symptoms disappear. until i got up again. I was still dizzy after a little while, but could walk home. i still feel sick and dizzy now 2 days later.

this have happened to me 3 times, when it was so serious i was scared.
But i just need to relax my stomach and let i bulge out, then i get a little dizzy.

ive been told i look pale and sick sometimes, it goes away during the day though. but i feel sick and dizzy at the time. happens once in a while. not often. any ideas what this could be? friends mentioned Anemia?

Thanks in Advance.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 minutes later

For Syncope/Fainting to occur, either the Reticular activating system in the brain needs to lose its blood supply, or both hemispheres of the brain need to be deprived of blood, oxygen, or glucose. Since most of the causes have been ruled out, it can be due to blockage of arteries supplying blood to the brain especially the carotids or vasovagal attacks. Dizziness does not seem to be caused by tensing the abdominal muscles.

Other than that, Hypotension, Anemia, Dehydration and Hypoglycemia also need to be ruled out.

In view of the fact that you look pale before the fainting spells, there is possibility of a compromised blood supply from the heart to the brain. This can happen due to cholesterol plaque in one of the carotid arteries or due to an abnormal rhythm of the heart.

I will suggest doing an ECHO Doppler of the heart, a 24 hours holter monitoring to look for any rhythm disturbances in the heart and a color Doppler of the vessels of the neck. If these tests are normal, then it will be quite reassuring. Complete blood count, your blood pressure and your blood sugar levels also should be checked.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil
Follow up: Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 days later
Thanks for the reply! I will talk to my doctor about your suggestions.
I got an appointment, bit I have to wait for one month.
I'm am still a little dizzy and feel tired. I sleep very well though.
and I got through a workday and a workout.
would you suggest that I try to push through an appointment earlier or wait a month?
not sure how immediately serious this is.

Thanks in advance!
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

If you are still having dizziness, then it is advisable to get it evaluated as soon as possible.

Ear infections and other causes like Meniere’s disease or inner ear diseases can lead to dizziness.

If there is any ear pain or tinnitus along with then it may be the possibility.

Please get yourself evaluated for that also from an ENT specialist.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika