What causes sudden hearing deafness?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: what can cause sudden loss of hearing other than blunt trauma?
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.
Sudden deafness or sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) has many possible etiologies.
Viral infection,
Baro trauma(taruma to the inner ear when travelling with sudden change in Atmospheric pressures like during Flight journey,Sea Diving),
Noise Trauma(Exposure to loud noise),
Head injury(causing injury to the ear)
Inner Ear Tumours,
Immune-mediated inner ear disease,
Vascular compromise of the inner ear due to blockage( thrombosis, embolus), reduced blood flow, or spasm of blood vesssels,
Iron Deficiency Anemia:It increases the risk for sudden deafness,
Reactivation of syphilis in HIV-infected patient,
Brain Stroke,
Ototoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, vancomycin, cisplatin, furosemide, ethacrynic acid); these mostly cause hearing loss over a longer time period but can rarely present as a sudden loss),
Inner ear disease like Meniere's Disease,
and unknown causes.

Hope this answers your question .Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D