Is vertigo normal despite undergoing a brain surgery for Meniere's disease?

ENT Specialist
Question
My son XXXXXXX 47, recently; in Aug. had brain surgery with Dr. Wilkinson at St. XXXXXXX hospital, downtown Los Angeles with the hope that the operation would help with his severe Meniere's disease condition which began about 18 month ago. Unfortunately, the op.; while succesfull in its technical conduct, did not help his high frequency vertigo and dizziness. It's an awful condition and life.
We would take our son anywhere in the world to seek help. I would appreciate very much your reply. Thank you. James Marlen
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details as discussed below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming the following:
a. Meniere's Disease has been confirmed by clinical criteria, Audiometry, ECochG (Electrocohlearography), VEMP (Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potential) Testing.
b. Lermoyez Syndrome, Tumarkin Otolithic Crisis and Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease (AIED) has been ruled out.
c. The brain surgery refers to Endolymphatic Sac Decompression.
d. Routine medical treatment has not been successful.

2. In this situation, high dose betahistine (Vertin), Meniette device or the Entex P-100 can be tried. If these fail, a chemical labyrinthectomy with intratympanic gentamicin is an option but not agreed to by all specialists.

3. You may contact Prof. Dr. XXXXXXX Strupp at Munich, Germany via email at YYYY@YYYY . He has been treating Meniere's Disease and endolymphatic hydrops with high doses of betahistine up to 450-600 mg per day and currently experimenting with higher doses.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.