Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Are blood tests for allergies more effective than skin/scratch tests?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Hello...are the blood tests for allergies more effective than skin/scratch testing? I am 56 year old female with collagenous colitis and recently developed allergy type symptoms to many foods, cats and the sun. After about thirty minutes of exposure, a red raised and itchy rash develops on all skin surfaces exposed to the sun. I had blood testing for allergies that my FP doc told me "would check for everything" and the results showed an allergy to a tropical grass.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood test for allergies is superior to skin tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs. XXXX,

Thanks for your query.

Firstly, blood test for allergies is much superior to skin/scratch tests.

Further, in the presence of collagenous colitis, intolerance to certain foods- such as seafood, peanuts, cow's milk, chocolates, beverages, eggs, wheat, barley, rye or soy- can be mistaken as food allergies. Both conditions manifest with nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps/discomfort, diarrhea etc..

Also, asthma and wheezing, sudden onset of sneezing, nasal flow, irritation in throat and eyes, are due to allergy.

As you have been detected as allergic to tropical grass, allergic reaction to cats and horses (which move around outside the house in grassy terrains) is understandable.

But, extreme photosensitivity does not exactly fit in the category of allergic disorders. Allergic disorders with hypersensitivity to sun may point to an autoimmune condition called Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosis) or Porphyria.

Consult your doctor and discuss my suspicion of the possibility of SLE/Porphyria. He will know what investigations need to be carried out and, depending on the outcome of the tests, prescribe specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. In case of more clarifications, I will be glad to answer.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor