Suggest treatment for an insect bite

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I think I got an insect bite just above my anus. It was about 1/2 inch wide and about 1 1/2 inches long . I got it about 10 days ago and it is slowly getting smaller but is not gone yet. There was a matching area on both sides and my husband eventually thought the one on the left might have had a centre. I have no idea what it could be as I was on a bike ride when I felt the stinging and never thought of a bug inside my shorts. Should I see a Dr.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can wait for few days, topical steroid and antibiotic cream; antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and according to them you seem to be having an insect bite hypersensitivity reaction.
No need to see the doctor if the lesion is getting smaller in size.
You can wait for few days.
I would recommend you to apply topical steroid and antibiotic cream like neosporin ointment and cortisone cream on the affected area twice daily for 5-7 days.
If it is associated with itching and stinging you can take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily at bedtime for 5-7 days.
This should help in resolving it.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad