Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for an insect bite

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2899 Questions
I think I got an insect bite just above my anus. It was about 1/2 inch wide and about 1 1/2 inches long . I got it about 10 days ago and it is slowly getting smaller but is not gone yet. There was a matching area on both sides and my husband eventually thought the one on the left might have had a centre. I have no idea what it could be as I was on a bike ride when I felt the stinging and never thought of a bug inside my shorts. Should I see a Dr.
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can wait for few days, topical steroid and antibiotic cream; antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and according to them you seem to be having an insect bite hypersensitivity reaction.
No need to see the doctor if the lesion is getting smaller in size.
You can wait for few days.
I would recommend you to apply topical steroid and antibiotic cream like neosporin ointment and cortisone cream on the affected area twice daily for 5-7 days.
If it is associated with itching and stinging you can take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily at bedtime for 5-7 days.
This should help in resolving it.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor