What causes burning tongue despite drinking distilled water?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi, about 2 months ago, I saw several doctors for a problem I was having (burning tongue). Of all specialists, my dentist was the one who helped me. She said it could be a hypersensitivity to tap and/or bottled water. She suggested Figi water. I tried Figi and a number of other non-acidic bottled water and it rid me of my problem. It was expensive though, so I ended up purchasing a distiller and I have loved it and my problem has gone completely away. However, after 2 months, I just found an article from the WHO that states the dangers of drinking distilled water. It worried me so much that I started drinking tap water last night. After 2 months of getting rid of my burning tongue, it is all-of-a-sudden back. I found another article that sites sources at the bottom, saying that drinking distilled water is healthy. Can you please tell me if you know if it has been determined that drinking distilled water really is healthy. I hope it is. Here is the article link that sites sources saying that it is healthy to consume.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/endurance-library/distilled-water-enhances-mineral-absorption/
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can drink distilled water without worries

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is good to know that your dentist has been able to resolve your problem. Now, distilled water lacks the salts that are otherwise present in tap water. Nevertheless, in your case you should continue with distilled water. Let me assure you that you would be able to procure from your diet the salts that would otherwise have been present as dissolved solutes.

Everything has its pros and cons. In your case the pros of drinking distilled water are greater than the cons. You need not worry. It is not whether drinking distilled water is healthy. For others without an indication as in your case it is pointless to drink distilled water as it does not provide added benefits and rather depletes you of salts you could have procured as dissolved solutes.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad