Addicted to masturbation. Have dark circles around eyes. Prescribed vitamins. Will it be cured?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi

I suffer from overmasturbation/porn addiction. I have gotten many, many symptoms from this but I would like to talk about the skin problems with you. Since I was 14 and till now (20). I have gotten dark circles around my eyes and the skin around my eyes is very thin. My overall face apperance seems to have lost its shine.

1. Is it possible to recover?
2. How can i recover?
3. How many months will it take before I see improvements?
4. is it possible to get 100% recovery?

5. Another doctor who deals with patients with overmasturbation/porn addiction problems told me that this problem was caused by excessive porn/overmasturbation and it was a skin pigmentation caused by stress hormones. He also told me that it would take 6-12 months before I saw improvement by using these supplements he recommended me: Fish Oil (3000 mg), Vitamin D3 (2000 IU) , L-Glutathione (500 mg) and DMAE (300 mg). Is this doctor spot on with my problem? And can these supplements help me recover?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
The treatment of any disease lies in solving the underlying cause.

Peri orbital melanosis or dark circles have variable causes like
1)chronic disesase(iron deficiency, thyroid disorder, atopy, allergic rhinitis)
2)lifestyle factors(stress, anxiety, long waking hours , more use of laptops, vision strain)
3)hereditary factors
4) localised factors(thin under eye skin along with micro leaks of blood through underlying fine blood vessels).

In your case, stress and thin skin could be the cause for dark circles. From the image that you have uploaded, your dark circles look quite mild.
To answer your queries-
A) dark circles can be treated

B)To treat the condition, you may try these-
1) Lifestyle modification- improve your sleep pattern, avoid laptop or too much TV watching, trying mind calming exercises and meditation.
2) you may also try mild pigmentation reducing creams containing Kojic acid , arbutin vitamin c etc.
3)Also peels specifically meant for thin under eye skin and mesotherapy sessions could be used.
4) take nutritious diet XXXXXXX in proteins, yogurt, fruits and salads

C) time taken to improve depends upon your compliance to treatment and how much stress you avoid

D) the extent of recovery depends upon the cause, if its due to lifestyle changes, you may have 100 percent recovery. If it is due to any illness or nutritional deficiency, you may take time to recover.

E) there is nothing wrong in the supplements he has suggested, you may continue taking them for overall health. Adding an oral vitamin c supplement would help too

F) you may also try home remedies like application of cucumber juice or tomato juice over your dark circles.

Hope I have answered your queries. Should there be any other doubt; I would be there to assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
(The treatment of any disease lies in solving the underlying cause.)

Im 95% sure of the cause, and I have very good personal reasons to believe that.
So If I remove this "cause" from my lifestyle, will I see improvement on my face skin and dark circles?

Also, caffeine reduces the bodies way of dealig with stress right? Ive heard it but not sure if its true? So should I try not consume caffeine products for my recovery?
Hi XXXXXXX,
To treat your stress rely on counselling and therapy for your behavioural addiction problem. You may also try meditation. Caffeine is not the solution to your problem. So I would not advise caffeine products to deal with your stress.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.