Does vitamin D deficiency cause hair loss?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,

How much does Vit D deficiency or insufficiency has impact on Hair Loss. Does getting the Vit D levels corrected would help in hair regrowth?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No direct role of Vitamin D deficiency in hair loss

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.

Viamin D deficiency has not been directly implicated as a cause of hair loss in males although in general severe nutritional deficiency can increase hair shedding. Any deficiency in vitamin D levels if detected should nonetheless be supplemented however it is not routine to do vitamin D levels in investigation for causes of hair loss. In males, 'Androgenetic Alopecia' is the most common cause for hair loss and thinning. It is gradual and progressive.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Is there a way to control hair loss without having any adverse impact on reproductive system?

xxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Topical minoxidil and finasteride solution

Detailed Answer:
hi.

Yes.
You may use Minoxidil and Finasteride topical solution e.g Morr F 5% solution or Tugain Men solution or Hair 4u F solution. Use 1ml, twice daily, on dry and clean scalp. Avoid hair oil. Using finasteride topically is not associated with any sexual side effects unlike oral finasteride.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad