How can severe hair loss be managed?
As a typical software employee, I too have hair fall issue. I have a long silky hair which is used to be good before joining in IT industry. Its got increased recently I believe. What I have observed is, it is falling more when I do head bath with shampoo. When I searched in internet, I understood many has similar issue and applying shampoo frequently is not advisable. Is it true? what is the ideal frequency to apply shampoo on head? Also, please suggest any other tips to reduce hair fall.
Regarding hair loss
Hello. thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.
Shampoo does not lead to increased hair shedding. Only the hair that were weak and due to be shed soon are the ones that you would normally notice coming out on shampoo. Therefore the underlying cause is something else rather than a shampoo.
The fequency of shampoo is your own preference..some do it daily, others do it on alternate days or twice weekly. Shampooing on alternate days or even daily is considered fine just like washing face daily is fine.
As far as hair fall is concerned, androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of increased hair shedding in males where there is also associated hair thinning as well as receding anterior hair line leading to an M-shaped anterior hair line. There is frequently a genetic predisposition.
Other important common causes of increased hair shedding is persistent dandruff, preceding acute severe medical illness (e.g dengue, malaria, jaundice etc) or surgery, chronic illness, weight loss and nutritional deficiency to name a few.
Treatment is specific to the underlying cause e.g topical Minoxidil and oral Finasteride are FDA approved for Androgenetic Alopecia in males and Keticonazole based shampoo for dandruff.
I request you to kindly upload a few images of the scalp in "Reports section" so that I can judge the severity of your concern and guide you better.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Having severe hair loss and dandruff how to treat this
- Facing severe hair loss how to treat this
- Severe hair loss insomnia
- Severe hair loss in women
- How to combat hair loss
- How to cure hair loss
- Gallbladder severe hair loss
- How to combat severe hair loss in males
- How to reduce hair loss
- How to prevent hair loss
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body