Achy throat, white spots on tonsils and lump in the back of throat. What could this be?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, I need some advice. I am 20 years old and for the past few days I have had a very achy throat (I assumed it was nasal drip as I suffer from chronic bronchitis) however I think there is more to it than that this time. I noticed a few white spots on my tonsils and (only once) reached my finger into my throat to feel it and there is a fairly large lump in the back of my throat behind my tongue, it is soft and almost shaped like the uvula, only a bit bigger. My throat is now getting fairly sore (possibly from me irritating it by clearing my throat frequently and such) and there is a lot of pain when I yawn. I plan to see a doctor as soon as possible, however if I could have an of what to expect that would be great! Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from Pustular Tonsilitis Detailed Answer: Hi Miss, Thanks for your query. In view of your bronchitis, sinus problem with associated post-nasal drip and whitish spots over the painful tonsils, apart from an alleged soft lump (which is apparently an enlarged tonsil or an enlarged lymph node), you are suffering from Pustular Tonsilitis- Strept/staph infection with probable involvement of lungs. However, the condition can also be an allergic reaction to an inhaled/ingested allergen. I will recommend that- pending your visit to your doctor- you take the following treatment immediately:- * A superior antibiotic (combination of Amoxycillin + Clavulinic acid) 1.25gm twice daily (or Azithromycin 500mg twice daily) for 7 days * Antihistaminic, such as, cetirizine 10mg twice daily for a week; * Anti-inflammatory pain-killers such as, combination of ibuprofen + paracetamol thrice daily for around 5 days; * Saline gargles (with 4-6 spoonfuls of salt in each glass of hot water) thrice daily * Steam inhalation through the nose, 3-4 times daily. You should be all right within 5-7 days. Hope you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to help you in case of further clarifications, if any. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal