Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

27 years old. Started feeling dizziness and vertigo. Could it be due to vestibular infection or malfunctioning?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions
Hi, I am a 27 year old 6 feet tall guy with weight 74kg. I feel acute spell of dizzinness/vertigo. It is usually kind of incidents where I feel like my mind is spinning and objects are also moving round and round. It may come in category of pseudovertigo. I have gone through so many tests like MRI brain, blood tests for weakness, eye tests etc but all were fine. I have problem of acute sinusitis. My eyes feel very tired no matter how much sleep I have had. I have an ache almost twice a week - from my neck and above my eyes. My throat is dry all day. I don't think I have spondilitis because i may have this morning stiffness in neck sometimes which goes away with time during day but this neck pain is not that severe that I cannot work on computer for long, I feel comfortable enough while sitting for long time or working to rule out spondilitis. So, is this SINUSITIS which is causing this vertigo? I drive my car to offce everyday so I am afraid if someday I XXXXXXX myself against something or XXXXXXX an accident. Please help. Can be it because of any vestibular infection or malfunctioning? I have sever vertigo issue. please help
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Vertigo that you are having is not likely to be due to sinusitis.
The symptoms you have may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one in your case-
1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves.
2.Migraine headaches are also associated with vertigo or spinning of head. Do you have any associoation with headache?
3. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation or miniere's disease- Can be ruled out on examination by a specialist.
4. Stroke causing compromised blood supply to the inner ear. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors.
5. cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck and neck stiffness.
6. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia- can be detected with a blood test.
You need to rule out the above conditions and then get the treatment according to the diagnosis.
For symptomatic relief, you can start taking plenty of fluids and fresh fruit juices.
Medicines that will help are Vertin (Betahistine) and Stugeron (Cinnarazine). You can take these after consulting your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 27 years old. Started feeling dizziness and vertigo. Could it be due to vestibular infection or malfunctioning? 2 hours later
I will try to tell few more things:

1. I don't use pillow and i don't work for a long time in same position which can cause neck pain. And stiffness in neck is not that severe or frequent that i can call it a cervical spondi.

2. I don't have migraine headaches as well.

Once, when I did consult a neuro, he advised me to take both the above medicines you mentioned Vertin and stugeron. I don't know whether these helped me or not. I took them for 15 days. It has been more than 10 months and now I am having these extreme spells of vertigo. What specialist I should go for? ENT or Neuro or Genera physician?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to consult a neurologist to find out the exact cause. He may advise a consultation with an ENT specialist if he feels necessary. The medicines I mentioned are only for symptomatic relief. These are likely to help you now also.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor