Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What medicine to take for fungus in the groin area?

Hi Doctor: I mistakenly used someone else's shaver who was infected with ringworm. I recently realized that my entire groin area was severely infected with the fungus. I has been weeks since I have been using Ring Guard ointment but the itching hasn't stopped. I am very worried since it is spreading onto parts of my legs even when I take bath twice a day and be very careful about not touching the affected area. Can you please advise an oral medicine to cure this problem? My height is 6ft. 2 inches, weight 70 Kgs and age is 28 years.
Sat, 14 Jun 2014
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

Tinea cruris or fungal infection are common in hot, humid weather conditions in summers. Groin folds trap sweat and moisture and thus provide an ideal environment for the fungus to proliferate.

Fungal infections are more common in those who are diabetics

Tinea cruris commonly presents as a red scaly patch, with central clearing and peripheral extension. There is variable scaling and itching over the patch. Diagnosis is clinical. A KOH scraping can be performed from the scale to confirm the diagnosis. However, with constant itching and scratching an element of eczema sets in and the skin of the folds becomes dark and thickened/velvety in texture

I would suggest you to use an OTC antifungal e.g clotrimazole cream, twice daily for 4-6 weeks

An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10mg once daily would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

I would also suggest an oral antifungal e.g fluconazole 150mg once weekly for 4-6 weeks. Fluconazole is a prescription drug and hence I would recommend you to visit a doctor before trying it.

After treatment of fungal infection, it is the recurrence that is the main concern. Regular use of an antifungal dusting powder e.g clotrimazole dusting powder would keep the area dry and prevent new fungal proliferation

General measures like wearing loose fitting clothes, bathing twice daily would discourage recurrence

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hello sir my daughter is 1 year and 8 months she has a fungus in her head that seems to appear like a ringworm. i have been taking her to doctors...

Recent questions on  Dermatophytosis

doctor1 MD

I get dime size rashes on my face and neck that resemble ringworm, but it is not. I have had it tested, spend a lot of $$ on creams and have no...

doctor1 MD

I have a spot on the bottom of my foot. I thought at first it might be a touch of athletes foot or ringworm. It itches a lot, especially when I...

doctor1 MD

I just found out I have ringwormon my hand. My dog had a red spot a few weeks ago and I put a cone on him thinking he was just licking out of...

doctor1 MD

I have a reoccurring red raised oval shaped spot that pops up about every 4-6 months in a different area on my torso. I treat it as ringworm, and...

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor can you please tell me symptoms for hiv

doctor1 MD

i want to know about dermatophytosis around foot's fingers and it's treatment clotrimazol1% topical cream

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, Im 24 years old male and i have developed some dry rough white patches on my right hand fingers. I actually had unprotected oral sex...