Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What is wrong with me and how can I fix my menstrual problem ?

Hi. I m a 19 year old female who has not gotten her menstrual cycle in almost a year. I met with my family doctor and he found that I am not anemic, my uterus is fine and I do not have a thyroid problem. I did an ultrasound and the clinical indication said I could have Amonnerrhea. What is wrong with me and how can I fix it ?
Asked On : Sat, 8 Jan 2011
Answers:  5 Views:  640
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
amenorrhea is a clinical diagnosis and not the cause.If your ultrasound is fine then then that rules out pathology like cyst or PCOS.You have amenorrhea since one year so the cause has to be long term.The basic causes like anemia and thyroid have been ruled out so the next step will be a hormonal assay like prolactin,LH,FSH,DHEA, AND testosterone.You should consult a gynaecologist about getting these tests done.Usually they are done on day 2 of your cycle so you will need medicines for withdrawal bleeding.I suggest you see a specialist about this.
Answered: Sat, 8 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
What kind of specialist should I see
My doctor said it was normal for me to not be getting my menstrual cycle and that I shouldn't worry about it if I wasn't sexually active. But, I don't think that's right.
Answered: Sat, 8 Jan 2011
OBGYN Dr. Rhea Chanda's  Response
You are right.Its not normal to not get your menses once you've reached menarche.You should see a gynaecologist about this.We need to find out what the cause is so that you dont have trouble getting pregnant in the future.
Answered: Sat, 8 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. I'm making an appointment for a Gynecologist now. Thanks again!
Answered: Sat, 8 Jan 2011
  Anonymous's Response
i have'nt seen my period since January did a pregnancy test came negative, when to the doctor he said there is no sign of growth but i am scared what should i do next. Can you help me plz. Thanks in advance
Answered: Mon, 28 Feb 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor