Owl Image

What is angina?

what is angina?
Mon, 5 Sep 2011
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi well come to HCM.
Its classical coronary pain precipitated on exertion or emotional stress. lt sided or
retrosternal pain may or may not be radiaing to shoulder, back, jaw etc. relieved by
rest or subligual nitrates. Its due to lack of blood supply to heart. Thanks
heart pain - chest pain see this for more info or site below: Angina (pectoris) is chest pain due to ischemia (a lack of blood and hence oxygen supply) of the heart muscle, generally due to obstruction or spasm of the coronary arteries (the heart's blood vessels). Coronary artery disease, the main cause of angina, is due to atherosclerosis of the cardiac arteries. The term derives from the Greek ankhon ("strangling") and the Latin pectus ("chest"), and can therefore be translated as "a strangling feeling in the chest". Worsening ("crescendo") angina attacks, sudden-onset angina at rest, and angina lasting more than 15 minutes are symptoms of unstable angina (usually grouped with similar conditions as the acute coronary syndrome). As these may herald myocardial infarction (a heart attack), they require urgent medical attention and are generally treated as a presumed heart attack