Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What is androgenetic alopecia and which type of specialist can treat this condition ?

since 2 mnths i m having accute hair loss .have gone thru tests which r all normal.i would like to know why my hair is falling? my age is 35/f, weight-64, height-5 2
Asked On : Wed, 20 Jul 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  277
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response

just check out your serum testosterone are your periods...if not regular and if you are putting on weight ,then get a ultrasound done of lower abdomen.This would rule out any chance of PCOD.
You need to apply minoxidil for long (6-10 months) .You can also take tab biotin along with.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Answered: Fri, 29 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
do you have dandruff ? do you take head bath daily? if all your tests are normal then stress and poor nutrition can be the cause of hair fall.hairfall increases during the season of monsoon.take care of proper hygine,
Answered: Wed, 20 Jul 2011
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases Dr. Hema Yadav's  Response
Hi, normally our hair goes throuh phases of growth n fall every few mths.during the fall phase if u feel that hair loss is more than usual, ther can b many reasons, acute illness ,hormonal .imbalance,climatic or local fungal infection etc. Try to have a balanced diet, yoga, good sleep. Massage with any oil n leave overnight. Wash with mild shampoo.use ketoconazole shampoo treatment if u ve dandruff. Avoid sun n swimming pool.thanx.if still persist visit trichologist.
Answered: Wed, 20 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,

In females the most common cause of hair loss is –iron deficiency, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, stress, lack of sleep, familial ,or use of chemical on scalp ,procedures like perming or straightening etc. Other rare causes are zn & copper def.

One has to find the exact cause of hair loss and treat. In females there are various patterns of hair loss,which can be judged clinically by a dermatologist. If it is the frontal area getting involved then that would mean a hormonal patter of hair loss. You should get your hormonal level checked along with an ultra sound if necessary to rule out PCOD.This usually seen in obese patient with irregular periods.At times it is associated with pimples and facial hair too.
Apart from hormonal test and ultra sound ,other simple test which we do are hair pull test and trichogram to diagnose which type of hair loss is there.
Even a thyroid profile(T3,T4,TSH) should be done to rule out thyroid problem .

In thyroid there is diffuse hair loss and in hormonal pattern there is involvement of frontal and crown area only sparing the frontal hair line.

After proper diagnosis you can start with topical preparations like Minoxidil 2%-5% applied twice daily on scalp along with tab biotin one daily.Other hormonal medicines are also available if needed. Improve your diet with green leafy veg, fresh fruits, plenty of water, sprouts ,pulses, high protein diet, avoid items with high sugar content like sweets & chocolates, less of Chinese foods, less of pizza & burgers ,more of milk & ghee, dry fruits . Good sleep also has a important role to play .

Kindly visit a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Take care,
Dr.Bharat Chawda
Answered: Wed, 20 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor