Ask a Dentist   »  

Is Azithromycin necessary after tooth extraction?

Question
I just had a tooth pulled today and my dentist prescribed taking Azithromycin 250mg. He also removed the crown next to it. My family only believes in alternative treatments. The reason I had the tooth pulled was because I had an infection in the area. How necessary is it to take this medication. Please answer with my email address as soon as possible. YYYY@YYYY
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medication helps in healing of socket and prevent complications.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for consulting Healthcaremagic.
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query.

I have read your query and understand your concern. See what happened is antibiotics given after tooth extraction as part of their treatment to prevent infection, dry socket, pain, swelling, restriced mouth opening like complications.
It is advised to take medication after tooth extraction that will be good for healing of extraction socket and to prevent these complications.
I will also suggest you to do warm saline rinses 3 to 4 times a day along with medication.

Hope this will help you.
If you have further query i will be happy to help.