Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

136 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What is OME(BE)?

What is OME(BE)? A doctor written after examining my ear says its membrane prob? Is it serious? Please sugg... How can i get cured?
Sun, 15 May 2011
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
1. Otrivin nasal drops are ok, but do not use them for more than two weeks in a row. Occasional use is fine. Rebound congestion occurs after 10-12 hours. Chronic use causes 'rhintis medicamentosa'.

2. Use these drops lying down with the head as far back or low as possible (with a pillow below your shoulders) or in the 'mecca' position. Try and flow the drops along the side walls of your nose as the Eustachian Tube opening is situated along the posterior end of the lateral (side) wall.

3. Do get the above mentioned tests done at the earliest.

4. Take a full course of supportive medication and not only Otrivin drops.
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Sumit Bhatti's  Response
1. OME (Otitis Media with Effusion) is a build up of fluid behind an intact ear drum.

2. This is a common problem linked to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. The Eustachian Tube connects the ear to the nose.

3. It is not serious if treated in time. If the fluid does not drain out by medical treatment for a long time, it thickens and causes adhesions (Glue Ear). It may cause hearing loss in the long run.

4. Treatment is initially conservative with anti allergics, decongestants (oral and local drops), mucolytics and steam inhalation. A baseline Impedance Audiometry (I/A) and PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) is usually done.

5. If no response is seen and I/A shows persistent 'B' Type graph, or if the negative pressure in the middle ear is more than - 150, a repeat I/A should be done. Myringotomy with grommet insertion is the surgical procedure performed.

6. Though it is common in children following upper airway infection, obstruction and allergy, in an adult, if it is one sided, a search for the cause must be done. However, in your case, it appears to be in both ears (BE).
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....