Is medical attention required to treat runny nose, congestion, headache and fever during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 20 weeks pregnant. Developed a dry cough and wheezing late Friday evening around 9pm. Very dry, raspy and producing no mucus. Only symptom was dry cough and wheezing. I get seasonal asthma sometimes so My OB called me in an inhaler but I­t­ only helped alittle and then by mid day yesterday (Saturday) I had a runny nose, congestion and slight headache due to head congestion. Went to bed early last night and woke up at 5:45am (less than an hour ago) and felt feverish so I checked I­t­ and it’s 100.9 under tongue. Is this a trip to ER right now or go to an urgent care when my husband and kids are awake? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can wait and attend urgent care.

Detailed Answer:
You have a mild fever upper respiratory infection and it seems to be a mild infection that can be well controlled with steam inhalation anti congestants and anti allergics. You can wait till your husband is awake and get the necessary medicines prescribed from an urgent care. You can have Tylenol till then for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj