Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

What does painful lump in the groin indicate ?

I have a lump on my side in the crease of leg, that seems to gurgle occasionally. 3 drs have told me that it s a lymph node and one that it was a hernia . I haven t been back because I can t afford it. It started on my right side over two months ago. After a month or so it seemed to spread out, then my side started hurting in the same place, It hurts on both sides though and gets more painful when I drive alot.
Asked On : Tue, 24 Apr 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  612
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello debbie.elrod,
I would like to know the exact location of the swelling, actually. If it's started to hurt and is increasing in size, you have to be careful and get it diagnosed properly so as to manage it appropriately.
Though , there is not to too worried about it, as these things are absolutely treatable. We just need to click the right button. I will be waiting for your reply.
Answered: Tue, 24 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to H.C.M.Forum. it appears to be ganglion , means herniation of synovial sac to out & spreading . usually it is cured by operation but as it is there on both sides conservatory treatment may be tried. with neurotropic injections, antibiotics& antiinflamatory drugs.
i advise you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for diagnosis. you may need to get CTscan done to confirm the extent of swelling inside& plan the treatment. wishing for a quick recovery.
Answered: Tue, 24 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Sairajesh Koonamsetty's  Response

I assume that the location you are referring to is groin region. A swelling or lump in the groin region could be a lymph node, vascular abnormality or hernia. As you said it is gurgling the possibility of a lymph node swelling can be ruled out. It could be either hernia or a vascular abnormality. A vascular abnormality in the groin area is quite rare. I shall tell you few tests which you can do yourself

Cough Test- Observe whether the lump is increasing in size or an impulse can be felt while you cough. If it increases in size it is hernia

Other test is reducibilty- Try to push back the lump if it dissapears it is hernia

Apart from that i would recommend you to have an Ultrasound scan of the lump done. It would definitely confirm the diagnosis, most probably a hernia.

If the lump is found be hernia. You need to get treated preferably by getting operated ( Based on the size of the lump and type of hernia)

Wish you the best of health
Take care
Answered: Tue, 24 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
welcome to HCM,
it is most probably inguinal hernia.
so consult to general surgeon.
have a good health
Answered: Tue, 24 Apr 2012
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor