Can a breast cyst turn cancerous?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Lump
Question: Can a simple breast cyst turn into a complex one? Can a breast cancer hide behind a cyst and be undetectable?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes a cancer can hide behind tge cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

Yes a simple cyst can become complex one. That is a very common thing. Most cysts are simple at the beginning. And after some time turn into a complex.
And yes there is a little chance that a cancer can be obscured by a cyst. This happens very rarely but it is posdible. Especially when you are BRCA 1 or 2 patient or have had breast cancer in the family. In such case, cysts puncture and breasts MRI should be considered.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
I have had 3 seperate ultrasounds and mammograms in the last 5 years, all have resulted in simple cyst diagnosis? Is it likely to change even after all those tests?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The chance is very low.

Detailed Answer:
Well, the chance is very very low. Mammography has about 70 percent of cancer detection accuracy. If there is no genetic risk of breast cancer, you may continue with ultrasounds and mammographies.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
The chance is low that the cyst has changed or that I have cancer?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The chance for the cancer is very low.

Detailed Answer:
The chance for the cancer is very low.