What causes pain in the lower left back along with blood in urine?

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Lump
Question: My back is painful in kidney area. This morning there was blood in my urine. I have a dr. apt tomorow for blood work and then an apt. Can I wait till then to see a doctor. Will an antibiotic help if it is an infection. I take handfuls of food supplements and have for two years after breast cancer. I feel fabulous and have not been sick at all.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes better to get yourself evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..
Please note..

1. Blood in the urine is a serious issue considering your age.
Never neglect it. Get yourself evaluated.

2. But since you are Breast Cancer patient, you would have been given Chemotherapy?
And its side effect of one drug that is commonly used.

3. Yes you can wait and there is no emergency. One more day is fine but don't wait too long.

4. Yes definitely antibiotics should be given if there is an infection.
But it has to be confirmed with urine culture and sensitive antibiotic should be used.

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me directly.
Or, you can close the question and rate.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 45 minutes later
Never had chemo or radiation. i am very very active. thank you. Ill go in tomorrow on Monday rather than emergency hospital.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can go tomorrow.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for getting back..

Please note..

1. You should be evaluated thoroughly.
With Ultrasound scan, probably CT and Cystoscopy too..

2. And yes, tomorrow you can go and consult your doctor.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad