What could painful ear with headache suggest?

hi i have a question for the past week i have had severe pain in my right ear and i thought it was just a headache and it was moving and ended there. but everytime i sneeze it pops and hurts and on top of that im in pain all day long unless i take ibuprofen any ideas?
Wed, 2 Jun 2021
Dentist 's  Response

Pain in right ear with popping of ear frequently can be due to infection in ear leading to blocked Eustachian tube. The eustachian tube helps in maintaining pressure inside the ear and in case if it gets blocked then there can be pain in ear as well as popping and blocked feeling can also be there. In case if the pain and popping occurs due to movement of the jaw then it can be related to the jaw joint causing TMJ /TMD.

If there is any problem with the jaw joint then there can be sharp or dull pain in the ear as well as the temple or the side of head and there can be popping or clicking sound.So to rule out the cause of ear ache and popping you need to get yourself checked. I would suggest you to consult an Otorhinolaryngologist and get evaluated and an Otoscopic examination of the ear can help in ruling out the cause. It jaw joint problem is suspected an Orthopantomogram can be done to rule out the cause.

As of now you can take anti inflammatory painkiller like Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen). Also doing warm compresses around the ear can help.Avoid popping the ear again and again to avoid damage to eardrum. In case if movement of the jaw causes pain and popping then you should soft foods and avoid excessive mouth opening. Once the diagnosis is confirmed further treatment can be done according to the diagnosis.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist