• question-icon

What could cause stiffness and swelling in legs?

Hello my niece is having a lot of trouble at the moment. Last year she had a operation on her back called Spinal Fusion and once that healed she was pain free and medication free. About 2 weeks ago she began showing these symptoms: Severe lower back pain Loss of feeling and sensation in right leg - unable to weight bare on it at all. She says that her leg feels heavy. Pain up her spine which feels like it s a stinging sensation to touch. In the last week, obviously due to all of the pain she is really fatigued and decreased appetite. Her current medications are Oxycodone (Endone), Panadol, Brufen and last night commenced on Valium. They have done xrays of her back, cts and mri of back, and mri of her brain, and lumbar puncture, and copious amounts of blood tests. I realise that you wont know the results of those tests, but they are still saying that they have no idea what is going on. Please can you help. Adele
Tue, 16 Apr 2019
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response

As post spinal fusion surgery having symptoms of radiating pain, back pain, tightness of the back muscles etc.

These symptoms as per me are related to muscle weakness. I think you should try out a physiotherapist who can help with regaining the strength in the muscles and also help to reduce the pain.

Exercise to focus on the core stability, hip muscle strengthening, static Quadriceps, static hamstring, ankle toe movements, straight leg raise, later crunches etc.

In my clinical practice, these symptoms can be reduced in about 2 weeks of time and in about 8-10 weeks of time great progression is achieved.

Kindly give some time and continue medicine with exercise and she should do well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Jay Indravadan Patel, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist