What could be the reason for 58 year old to have spotting for 3 months?
I am a 58 year female and for the last three months have been spotting blood. I have no real pain and my doctor took a pelvic exam and said i need to get an cystophy.Idid not have a period in about fourteen years. I am good bit over weight and never was on hrt or anything.Thanks.
Spotting at this age after menopause is a red flag sign. I don't want to worry you but this symptom can be because of the following causes
1. Endometrial carcinoma. For this you need to go to an OBGyn. She will do a pap smear and hysteroscopic biopsy of your uterus. This is a must test to rule out cancer of the uterus as this is very common at this age.
2. Atrophic vaginitis: Again you will have to go to an OBGyn. She will do a vaginal exam and if this is the case she will prescribe an estrogen cream to be applied on your vagina.
3. Cervical carcinoma: Again an OBGyn will take a Pap smear and try to rule this out after the result of the smear.
4. Restart of menstruation: this very rarely happens in some women but this is a diagnosis of exclusion.
5. Endometrial hyperplasia: this happens mostly in obese women. Fat cells produce estrogen which stimulates cells in the uterus which causes bleeding. Inshort you need to visit an OBGyn as soon as possible to reach a diagnosis
I find this answer helpful
You found this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer.
For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]