• question-icon

What causes pain in rib cage?

Hello, I m 18 and I m a smoker. I ve been smoking for two years and I m not proud of that. Today I ve had some sharp pains in my right rib cage and going to my back, I almost couldn t move and catch my breath. Right now, it s better even after I had a cigarette, but I can t take deep breaths. Also, when I bend forward, I can feel something in my rib cage rolling below the place of the pain, it s almost the same feeling when your heart starts beating really fast. Should this go away or should I see a doctor?
Fri, 7 Jun 2019
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response

It is not caused by smoking but smoking is not what made it better, actually the breathing exercise that you did while smoking just helped to relax this spasmed muscle, any way you will need to try hot packs and deep breathing and hold exercise and if you have access to a vibrator device you can use it. A muscle relaxant can help though and stopping smoking is better for your health.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Ayman Darrag, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist