What are the side effects of mirtazapine?

I have been taking mirtazapine for depression for 2 years with great results. In past two weeks have developed a cold sore and now suspected impertigo on the face. The stress and condition are feeding into each other. Could my mirtazapine effect be wearing off? 40 year old male. 6ft tall 178 pounds.
Thu, 24 Jun 2021

Mirtazapine dos have some additive effects of weight gain particularly at the higher doses and in my experience we do see that quite often. As far as increasing the susceptibility of cutaneous skin infections that is not anything I have ever experienced in my patients taking Mirtazapine to be honest. The medication itself can loss effectiveness over time and that is a possibility I have to say, this is seen in clinical practice usually after at least 6 months of use.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. David Girardi, Internal Medicine Specialist