What are the factors of having High Blood Pressure?

what do you think what are the factors contributed for your high blood pressure if you have it?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
's  Response
The Factors or Risk Factor is given beautifully in the article given below, hope it helps you out: Risk factors High blood pressure has many risk factors. Some you can't control. * Age. The risk of high blood pressure increases as you get older. Through early middle age, high blood pressure is more common in men. Women are more likely to develop high blood pressure after menopause. * Race. High blood pressure is particularly common among blacks, often developing at an earlier age than it does in whites. Serious complications, such as stroke and heart attack, also are more common in blacks. * Family history. High blood pressure tends to run in families. Other risk factors for high blood pressure are within your control. * Excess weight. The greater your body mass, the more blood you need to supply oxygen and nutrients to your tissues. As the volume of blood circulated through your blood vessels increases, so does the pressure on your artery walls. * Inactivity. People who are inactive tend to have higher heart rates. The higher your heart rate, the harder your heart must work with each contraction — and the stronger the force on your arteries. Lack of physical activity also increases the risk of being overweight. * Tobacco use. The chemicals in tobacco can damage the lining of your artery walls, which promotes narrowing of the arteries. * Sodium intake. Too much sodium in your diet — especially if you have sodium sensitivity — can lead to fluid retention and increased blood pressure. * Low potassium intake. Potassium helps balance the amount of sodium in your cells. If you don't consume or retain enough potassium, you may accumulate too much sodium in your blood. * Excessive alcohol. Over time, heavy drinking can damage your heart. * Stress. High levels of stress can lead to a temporary but dramatic increase in blood pressure. If you try to relax by eating more, using tobacco or drinking alcohol, you may only fuel problems with high blood pressure. Certain chronic conditions also may increase your risk of high blood pressure, including high cholesterol, diabetes, kidney disease and sleep apnea. Sometimes pregnancy contributes to high blood pressure. In a 2006 study, adults who worked more than 40 or 50 hours a week — particularly clerical and unskilled workers — were more likely to have high blood pressure than were those who worked 40 hours or less a week. Researchers tied the higher risk for workers with longer hours to unhealthy eating, less exercise, more stress and less sleep. Although high blood pressure is most common in adults, children may be at risk, too. For some children, high blood pressure is caused by problems with the kidneys or heart. But for a growing number of kids, poor lifestyle habits — such as an unhealthy diet and lack of exercise — contribute to high blood pressure.